Basically, two types of lawn mowers available in the market; the hand operated one where you walk behind it and the vehicle operated ones where you actually ride on it. Choosing the right type for your lawn is an easy task. Generally, for a lawn under the size of 0.5 Acres, you can select the Walk behind mower and for lawns larger than that, you would need a 32-36 inch tractor.
After you have decided on the type of the best lawn mower to go ahead with, there are a few points to consider before deciding on the machinery.
– Cutting Width: Lawn mowers come in different sizes and widths. The larger ones help you to get done with the task faster, but they require a clear and open field to go ahead with. On the other hand, the smaller ones are better suited for lawns that have obstacles in between, like flowers or pools etc.
– Pull/Electric Start: Most of the mower engines available in the market are the ones that get started by the pull chord. However, the most recent models feature an electric start too. It is entirely up to you to decide which variant to go for.
– Roller: Generally, mowers are accompanied by a rear roller that gives a lovely striped finish. However, this is only advised when you have a clear lawn. If you have flower borders in your lawn, then it is better to opt out of the rollers.
How to use a lawn mower: It does not have to be a complicated process to operate a lawn mower, but it can be a little formidable for the first time users. Below are some basic instructions that give you an idea of how to start, mow and finish a lawn mower.
– Gasoline Mowers: If you are using a Gasoline powered mower, make sure that there are no leaking fluids and that the spark plug is positioned properly. Pull the ripcord and start the engine. By doing this, the blades start to spin and the mower springs into action.
– Electric Mowers: The task is rather simple with electric mowers, all you need to do is to check that all the connections are intact and that the battery is charged. After this, most electric mowers get into action by a simple push of a button.
The Mowing: The mowing height of different grasses is often pre-defined by professionals which can be easily got online. When your lawn is not at its best, i.e, in hot weather or drought, stick to the upper end of the mentioned range. If everything else is fine, you can cut the grass a little more and go up to the lower end. If the clippings are heavy or too long, set the cutting height of the mower to the maximum possible setting.
The Finish: After completing the mowing, make sure that there are no clippings stuck between the blades before switching off the mower. Do not dispose off the grass clippings to the dump. They act as a wonderful organic matter that are full of nutrients and nitrogen. The best thing to do would be to leave the clippings on the lawn itself. The pieces decompose rather quickly and act as fertilizer for the existing grass. lawnmowerhut.com give detailed advice on buying different types of machines.
Points you need to know before operating a Lawn Mower:
– Always read the owner’s manual and become familiar with the safety features before working with a Lawn Mower.
– Check the lawn beforehand and remove any possible obstacles.
– Always wear proper clothing along with heavy shoes. Never wear loose clothing while working with a Lawn Mower.
– It is better to use earplugs to protect your hearing.
– Always keep pets and children away from the lawn mower.
– While refueling, let the engine for 10-15 minutes after stopping the mower. In the case of spills, clean them up immediately to prevent fire hazards.
– Take extra care while mowing on steep slopes as the mower can go rogue and out of control.